Friday, October 12, 2012

Small Decisions

Hola amigos!!!

As with many of the posts I write this one is applicable in many areas of life, not just health, well-being, and or fitness.  I was having a conversation with a client of mine the other day who was having a hard time trying see the big picture and take things one step at a time.  I understand that sometimes the mountain top can seem quite far away when your standing at the bottom.  However I assured my client that as Rome wasn't built in a day, 30,40,or 50lbs aren't lost in a day either. 
Ones health, well-being, and fitness is a life long journey filled with ups and downs.  Everyone has their good days, weeks, months, and their bad ones.  There are times personally when I feel like I'm in such great shape that I want to throw all of my shirts away and walk around topless while alternating between racing triathlons, and competing in CrossFit competitions,  there are also times when I feel like I'd collapse and die if I played basketball for 5 minutes and want to wear nothing but hooded sweatshirts. 

The point is we get to each of those places and fitness levels the same way...... Through a collection of very little minor and sometimes insignificant seeming decisions.  What harm is one hand full of M&Ms? not much harm at all.  Whats the big deal with having one slice of pizza? No big deal.  how bad can two beers really be for you?  Not very bad.  Missing the gym one day isn't going to kill me right? RIGHT!!!  All of these decisions in a vacuum are no big deal whatsoever and nothing to worry about.  However you can see how things quickly add up.  If all of these events occur on the same week, or the same day for that matter, well that's probably going to make an impact.  Especially if it happens week after week.  You see where I'm going with this right? I hope so. 

The same thing works in the other direction, a whole bunch of little healthy decisions and next thing you know you HAVE lost a few lbs or you are starting to feel a bit stronger or run a bit faster.  I could sit here and type up a list of examples trying to think of a funny one or two but you all know what I'm saying. 
It all adds up, one way or the other.  Make a boat load of good positive choices that have your health and well-being in mind, next thing you know your kicking ass and taking names (maybe you don't even take names, you just kick ass and leave a nameless pile of defeated people in your path) or you make a dump truck full of poor choices and next thing you know its getting PRETTTTTTTY prettttyyyyy preTTTTTYYYYYY tough to fit into those jeans that make your butt look good (when your butt is looking good).

One more quick point before I hit publish.  If you make a bad food choice or you skip the gym one day when you were planning on going, compartmentalize it.  Don't let it lead to a giant series of more and more bad decisions.  Take that decision and put it in a box and move right past it and get right back on the track.  Just because you had some Doritios at lunch doesn't mean you should go home and have 33 tacos for dinner.  Get over it and get back to working toward your goals.   

So in closing as always, stay consistent, do your best to eat healthy, workout as often and intensely as possible, and EMBRACE THE BURN. That is all, until next time.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment