Thursday, November 8, 2012

Want to get stronger?

Hello, hello, one and all,


see if your strong enough you can just carry trees around

How is everyone today?  Oh me? I'm just fine thank you.  We all have goals in the world of health and fitness.  A lot of times one person's goals are not the same as anothers, however most of us would like to be stronger.  I'm not necessarily refering to the fact that everyone wants to be able to deadlift 500lbs (I would like to be able to do this, but that doesn't mean that everyone does) I'm just saying however strong you are or aren't, almost everyone could benefit from being stronger.  It makes a lot of sense, the stronger you are the easier everyday tasks become.  Picture this.....You get home from the grocery store..... Are you picturing?  OK, you have a lot of bags.  Do you want to make more than one trip in with your bags? NO! I will literally carry a bag on each finger damn near breaking my fingers off, while stacking things on my chest and slinging dog food over my shoulder, just so I only have to make one trip.  I do all this and I have about a 25 step walk to my apt from the car, it wouldn't kill me to make extra trips, but I've done it a thousand times and will continue to do so until I have invented some sort of conveyer belt from the driveway to the house that will take my stuff in for me.  Well the point I'm getting at is that I am strong enough to accomplish this, and it is awesome.  I can name any number of day to day tasks that one could use a little extra strength for.  Such as; if you are moving and you need to lift couches, tables, beareaus and things of that nautre, maybe you are packing for a trip and need to get your bike on the bike rack on top of the car, maybe while your on that trip your car breaks down and you need to push it off the road, you may be able to do all of these things, but they'd all be easier if YOU were STORNGER.  See what I'm saying here?

So this brings me to my next point, which is how do we get stronger?  Well this is not rocket science, there is no trick to the answer either.  You lift up heavy things often. I repeat to get stronger you must PICK UP THINGS THAT ARE HEAVY AND DO IT WITH REGULARITY. Over time your body and muscles will adapt, adjust, and grow, then next thing you know TADAAAAA, you are stronger.  Now it is a little more complicated than that, but really not much.  I don't want this post to take a turn and start talking about nutrition and protein and bla bla bla.  That is boring.  I'm not going to do it, and it's my blog so you cant make me.

not working hard enough
Lift heavy and lift heavy a lot, you will get stronger.  Do execises that big strong people do and have been doing for years and years.  Doing planks, one legged deadlifts, burpees, and squats on a bosu are all great, they really are, they're great.  I do them, I have my clients do them, I wouldn't tell anyone not to do things like that, but you can't stop there or rely on exercises like these to get you a lot stronger, they are benficial but they aren't going to get you that real deal overall strength.  No what you need to do are the basics, back squats (heavy) deadlifts (heavy) bench press (heavy) overhead press (heavy) lunges (heavy) you see the theme here right? I don't feel like listing more exercises and inserting (heavy) after them.  If you are easily working through your sets of whatever exercise or lift you are doing, you are definatly not going heavy enough and not exercising intesly enough.  You should be sweating, you should not be able to carry on a conversation while you are actually lifting, you should have a slight fear of not being able to complete a rep, or set, you should not be able to check out the cute guy or girl getting off the eliptical.  This is the way to get stronger, this is how to make the body take notice and adapt to your needs.  Thats it. Done.

So let's get to work people, getting stronger and more awesome at life, after all thats what it's all about right? Kicking life's ass and dong it with a smile. 

Until next time my friends embrace the burn, have a nice day, and thanks for reading. 

1 comment:

  1. I miss reading your posts. They are so enlightening and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete